MDMA, short for 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine is a synthetic and highly addictive psychoactive drug that is now one of the most commonly abused types of drugs by teenagers. According to the2004 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, the number of people who have tried at MDMA at least once accounted to 11 million and is continuously increasing at present.
During nightclubs and raves, this drug is commonly known as ecstasy which affects a broader range of ethnic groups and youngsters. Despite its medicinal use for sexual impotency in adults, teens abuse MDMA for its pleasurable feeling of euphoria, emotional warmth, and increased energy.
According to reports MDMA abused usually comes together with some other drugs such as marijuana, methamphetamine, cocaine, ketamine, and sildenafil or Viagra.
However, despite its popularity and longtime existence in history, there are still many things that teens should know about MDMA. Taking drugs without even knowing its severe consequences can be lethal. Thus, the following are some significant facts teenagers need to know about MDMA.
- MDMA is similar some other drugs like cocaine and marijuana. It creates a pleasurable feeling for a few minutes, but when all of it fades what remains is the craving for more drugs. What is bad about it is that longer association can actually bring negative effects to health such problems in the cardiovascular system and overall mental health.
- Abusing MDMA can cause sleep disorders. It basically causes jaw clenching and grinding teeth or bruxism while sleeping. This unconscious habit leads to severe dental destruction and sometimes jaw pains and headaches.
- MDMA is responsible for several psychological risks such as estrangement and flashbacks. Abusing MDMA for your own personal vested interest can lead to behaviors such that of schizophrenic psychos where a person becomes lethargic, disoriented, and prone to making meaningless and repetitive movements.
- MDMA can cause death by suppressing muscle coordination in the body. This leads to stroke and heart attacks.
- Anyone on night outs is at risk for MDMA abuse. Because these drugs are tasteless and odorless, they can be furtively dropped into a person’s drink. This trick has already become a common scheme among bullies on parties. Unfortunately, records show that girls who have been preyed upon this manner have become victims of sexual assaults.
- MDMA deplete serotonin levels in the body, which impairs the attention and lose focus especially when driving. Drugged driving can actually lead to unexpected fatal road accidents.
- The feeling of being close to people is actually one of the after effects of MDMA. Teens like the feeling of being sociable, however; what is bad about the closeness is the related extreme attraction to the opposite sex which leads to most cases of premarital sex and unplanned pregnancy.
The New Federal Cut-off level of MDMA
- There is no specific and fast medication for MDMA addiction. This fact can be very hurting not only to you but also to parents. The only available treatment is the cognitive-behavioral intervention which is a lengthy process designed to modify patient’s thinking and behavior.
Drug testing on MDMA follows a specific cut-off level to confirm positive use of the drug among teenagers. Using the MDMA drug test kits
, there are three ways on which drug testing is administered to the person and each entails different cut-off levels. First drug testing detects for MDMA metabolites through the person’s urine. As recommended by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), the cut off level
is 250 ng/ml.
A second option to assess MDMA presence in the body is through hair follicle test
. This type of test uses a hair sample which is usually cut at approximately 3.9 cm or 1.5 inches close to the scalp to identify MDMA presence. Hair follicle test measures for the drug molecules and its specific metabolites which actually stay in the hair by the bloodstream after it has been processed in the body. The MDMA cut-off level of MDMA metabolite in the hair follicle test is 300 ng/ml.
The third drug testing option is the saliva swab testing
. The test simply use the saliva swab test kits where the swab is placed between the lower cheek and gum for about two minutes which when concentrated with saliva is transferred to a collection vial. The new federal cut-off level of MDMA metabolites on a saliva screening is at least 50 ng/ml.http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/ecstasy.htmlhttp://drugabuse.gov/ResearchReports/MDMA/