The CAGE test is one of the most common and trusted alcohol addiction screening tests in the United States and United Kingdom. Professionals and family doctors use the CAGE test to assess an individual for the signs of alcoholism.
The CAGE test is a very simple and very straightforward questionnaire consisting of only four questions. The term CAGE is taken from the first letters of the acronyms form by the bold letters below. As you can see, these words describe the feelings and actions that an individual may experience because of drinking alcohol.
CAGE test has 93% accuracy among all the addiction tests for alcoholism, according to research.
When answering the CAGE test, you should make sure that your answers are true; otherwise, you will not get the accurate result.
The following are the four main questions of the CAGE test, which are answerable only by yes or no.
- Have you ever felt you need to cut down on your drinking?
- Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
- Have you ever felt guilty about drinking?
- Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning as an eye-opener to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
The following are the interpretation of the results based on your answers to the above questions.
- If you answered yes to 1 question, the possibility of you having an alcohol problem is 25%.
- If you answered yes to 2 questions, the possibility of you having an alcohol problem is 50%.
- If you answered yes to 3 questions, the possibility of you having an alcohol problem is 75%.
- If you answered yes to all of the questions, the possibility of you having an alcohol problem is 90%.
If you answered 2 on any of the questions above, it means that you may have an alcohol problem. If you have answered yes to all of the questions, it means that you may be an alcohol dependent
. Either way, you need to consult your doctor about it. You can check with your family doctor about your alcohol test
result or set an appointment with an alcohol addiction counselor.